About Our Doctor
Dr. Sharang Wartikar
Dr. Sharang Wartikar is a young, compassionate eye specialist and a skilled vitreo-retinal surgeon with over a decade of experience in his field.
He performs various retinal diagnostic procedures like Fundus Photography, Fundus Angiography (FFA), Ocular Ultrasonography (B-Scan) and Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT).
He has received certification for the same from University of Wisconsin Reading Centre, US and Vienna Reading Centre, Austria.
His expertise lies in performing Retinal Lasers and Retinal Surgeries. These include Scleral buckling surgeries and Micro Incision Vitrectomy Surgeries (MIVS) for various vitreo-retinal diseases.
His work on MIVS has been published in renowned international journals and he has contributed chapters on important retinal conditions like Diabetic Retinopathy in international textbooks.
He has contributed to paper, poster & video presentations at various conferences including the American Academy of Ophthalmology and All India Ophthalmology Conferences where he has also received the best video and the best paper award. He has been invited as a guest speaker and has conducted Instruction Courses in multiple conferences. He has worked as a Study Coordinator for International Research programs that have given the world sight saving drugs like Macugen & Eylea.
He had an excellent academic career at school and college. He was a National Talent Search (NTS) Scholar and was in the Merit List at HSC board exams. After completing his MBBS from Seth GS Medical College & KEM Hospital, Mumbai, he did his MS and DNB in Ophthalmology. This was followed by an intensive 2 years fellowship in Medical and Surgical Retina at the prestigious Retina Foundation, Ahmedabad. Here he received training under the honourable Dr. P.N.Nagpal, a legend in the field of Ophthalmology and under Dr. Manish Nagpal, a pioneer in modern retinal surgeries. To fulfil his desire to constantly update his skills, he has travelled to international institutes where he has spent time learning and has undertaken Surgical Retina courses. He has successfully cleared International Examinations in single attempt and has kept himself abreast with the latest knowledge by regularly attending conferences.
He has been part of Research Projects at Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai and has assisted the World Bank, Government of India and Maharashtra Health System to control cataract blindness and to develop new clinical indicators.
He believes in a holistic and a compassionate approach towards his patients. He has always remained ethical in his practice and honest with his opinion. He strives to do what is in the best interest of the patient. He is approachable and very open about the outcomes of any treatment or any surgical procedure he offers to the patient.
- "Comparison of clinical outcomes and wound dynamics of sclerotomy ports of 20, 25 and 23 gauge vitrectomy". Retina, 2009, Vol. 29, No.2. Pages 225-231.
- Chapter on "Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy" in Fundus Fluorescein and Indocyanine Green Angiography : A Textbook and Atlas.
- "Comparison of endoscopic view of ports in 20, 25 & 23-G vitrectomy in relation to vitreous incarceration" : American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2007, New Orleans.
- S. Nataraja Award for Best Paper in Retina at All India Ophthalmology Conference 2008, Bangalore.
- Video on "Fall and rise of posterior polar cataract" at All India Ophthalmology Conference 2009, Jaipur.
- Second Prize in Paper presentation at Gujarat Ophthalmological Society's Annual Convention, 2007, Mehsana.
- Paper on "Comparative study of efficacy and safety of pars-plana vitrectomy using 20, 23 and 25 gauge entry systems" at All India Ophthalmology Conference 2009, Jaipur.
- Maharashtra Ophthalmological Society conference, Bombay Ophthalmic Association Conference, Goa Ophthalmological Association.
- Study Coordinator for VIEW-2 (VEGF Trap-Eye : Investigation of Efficacy and Safety in Wet AMD) sponsored by Bayer Schering Pharma, Berlin.
- Study Coordinator for EOP1013 (Role of Macugen in Diabetic Macular Edema) sponsored by OSI-Eyetech, New York and Pfizer Inc., New London.
- Gunma University School of Medicine, Japan
- European School for Advanced Studies in Ophthalmology Surgical Retina Course, Lugano, Switzerland
- Basic Science and Clinical Science Examinations conducted by International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO), UK.
- "Developing Clinical Indicators" for Maharashtra Health System Development. Project (MHSDP) funded by the World Bank.
- "Evaluation of NGOs", a World Bank assisted Cataract-Blindness Control Project for Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.